- Adhere: Object is covered in extremely sticky slime.
- Animate Object: Object obeys your commands as best it can. It can walk 15ft per round.
- Anthropomorphize: A touched animal either gains human intelligence or human appearance for L days.
Arcane Eye: You can see through a magical floating eyeball that flies around at your command.This would replace much stealth and surveillance activity. Astral Prison: An object is frozen in time and space within an invulnerable crystal shell.Taking “object” to include creatures, which may admittedly not be the intent, this is a one-shot temporary knockout for any enemy.
- Attract: L+1 objects are strongly magnetically attracted to each other if they come within 10 feet.
- Auditory Illusion: You create illusory sounds that seem to come from a direction of your choice.
- Babble: A creature must loudly and clearly repeat everything you think. It is otherwise mute.
- Beast: You and your possessions transform into a beast, like a wolf or a bear but not exactly either. You gain claws and speed and physical strength, but you are angry and hungry and you have no human loyalties. You must rampage like (your culture’s stereotype of) a “savage beast”, except that you can make a Wis save to act otherwise for one round.
- Befuddle: L creatures of your choice are unable to form new short-term memories for the duration of the spell.
- Bird Person: Your arms turn into huge bird wings.
- Body Swap: You switch bodies with a creature you touch. If one body dies, the other dies as well.
- Catherine: A woman wearing a blue dress appears until end of spell. She will obey polite, safe requests.
Charm: L creatures treat you like a friend.Mind control
- Command: A creature obeys a single, three-word command that does not harm it. Mind control, but quite tightly constrained.
Comprehend: You become fluent in all languages.If you’re bothering to care about languages, little point having a spell that bypasses all that. (and it you’re not, no point having such a spell at all)
- Control Plants: Nearby plants and trees obey you and gain the ability to move at 5 feet per round.
- Counterspell: Make an opposed Intelligence ability check against the Intelligence of the caster of a nearby spell. You may do this out of turn as a reaction, or against an ongoing magical effect. On a success, you may cancel the spell.
Control Weather: You may alter the type of weather at will, but you do not otherwise control it.I don’t like the feel of easy magical weather control. I like the environment to be powerful.
- Deafen: All nearby creatures are deafened.
- Detect Magic: You hear nearby magical auras singing. Volume and harmony signify the aura’s power and refinement.
- Disassemble: Any of your body parts may be detached and reattached at will, without causing pain or damage. You can still control them.
- Disguise: You may alter the appearance of L characters at will as long as they remain humanoid. Attempts to duplicate other characters will seem uncanny.
- Displace: An object appears to be up to L×10ft from its actual position.
Earthquake: The ground begins shaking violently. Structures may be damaged or collapse.Too powerful – move to Greater Magic.
- Elasticity: Your body can stretch up to L×2ft beyond your usual envelope.
- Elemental Wall: A straight wall of ice or fire L×40ft long and 10ft high rises from the ground.
Filch: L visible items teleport to your hands.Overlaps too much with stealth and thievery.
- Fog Cloud: Dense fog spreads out from you.
- Foresight: Get vague intimations of the future, manifest by rolling L+1 d20s. Whenever you must roll a d20 after casting the spell, you must choose and then discard one of the rolled results until they are all gone.
- Frenzy: L creatures erupt in a frenzy of violence. Mind control, but unpredictable effects.
Gate: A portal to a random plane opens.Extremely powerful and doesn’t fit with my metaphysics.
- Gravity Shift: You can change the direction of gravity (for yourself only) up to once per round.
- Greed: L creatures develop an overwhelming urge to possess a visible item of your choice. Mind control, but unpredictable effects.
Haste: Your movement speed is tripled.Simple movement mobility enhancement without restriction. Hatred: L creatures develop a deep hatred of another creature or group of creatures and wish to destroy it.Mind control. Hear Whispers: You can hear faint sounds clearly.Overlaps too much with stealth.
- Hover: An object hovers, frictionless, 2ft above the ground. It can hold up to L humanoids.
Hypnotize: A creature enters a trance and will truthfully answer L yes or no questions you ask it.Mind control.
- Icy Touch: A thick ice layer spreads across a touched surface, up to L×10ft in radius.
Illuminate: A floating light moves as you command.Replaces torches and lanterns and enjoyment thereof.
- Increase Gravity: The gravity in an area triples.
- Invisible Tether: Two objects within 10ft of each other cannot be moved more than 10ft apart.
Knock : L nearby mundane or magical locks unlock.Removes all manner of lock-related joy and amusement.
- Leap: You can jump up to L×10ft in the air.
- Liquid Air: The air around you becomes swimmable.
- Magic Dampener: All nearby magical effects have their effectiveness halved.
- Marble Madness: Your pockets are full of marbles, and will refill every round.
Manse: A sturdy, furnished cottage appears for L×12 hours. You can permit and forbid entry to it atwill Feels too powerful, needs constraining in some way
- Masquerade: L characters’ appearances and voices become identical to a touched character.
- Miniaturize: You and L other touched creatures are reduced to the size of a mouse.
- Mirror Image: L illusory duplicates of yourself appear under your control.
- Mirrorwalk: A mirror becomes a gateway to another mirror that you looked into today.
- Multiarm: You gain L extra arms.
- Night Sphere: An L×40ft wide sphere of darkness displaying the night sky appears.
- Objectify: You become any inanimate object between the size of a grand piano and an apple.
- Ooze Form: You become a living jelly.
- Pacify: L creatures have an aversion to violence.
- Phantom Coach: A ghostly coach appears until end of spell. It moves unnaturally fast over any terrain, including water.
- Phobia: L creatures become terrified of an object of your choice.
- Pit: A pit 10ft wide and L×5ft deep opens in the ground.
- Primeval Surge: An object grows to the size of an elephant. If it is an animal, it is enraged.
- Psychometry: The GM answers L yes or no questions about a touched object.
- Pull: An object of any size is pulled directly towards you with the strength of L men for one round.
- Push: An object of any size is pushed directly away from you with the strength of L men for one round.
- Rat: You and your possessions transform into a small mundane rat. You have your normal mind but the physical limits of a rat.Think I added this at some point, then forgot about it. Maybe I like rats?
Raise Dead: L skeletons rise from the ground to serve you. They are incredibly stupid and can only obey simple orders.I want dead-animating spells to need bodies first. And generally this trivialises undead a bit, which I want to avoid. Also has a misleading name given the classic D&D spell.
- Raise Spirit: Summon a spirit into a dead body and make it answer L questions. Can only answer using the parts of the body still present. Works once per body and then traces are burnt out. Retained, but modified to fit my metaphysics and prevent repeat use.
- Read Surface Thoughts: You can hear the surface thoughts of nearby creatures. This is borderline, but it fits Manola’s idea of “just enough to give the PCs an exploitable edge in social situations”. I’ve renamed it from “Read Mind” to make its limits clearer.
- Repel: L+1 objects are strongly magnetically repelled from each other if they come within 10 feet.
- Scry: You can see through the eyes of a creature you touched earlier today.
- Sculpt Elements: All inanimate material behaves like clay in your hands.
- Shroud: L creatures are invisible until they move.
- Shuffle: L creatures instantly switch places. Determine where they end up randomly.
- Sleep: L creatures fall into a light sleep.
- Smoke Form: Your body becomes living smoke.
- Sniff: You can smell even the faintest traces of scents.
- Sort: Inanimate items sort themselves according to categories you set. The categories must be visually verifiable.
- Spectacle: A clearly unreal but impressive illusion of your choice appears, under your control. It may be up to the size of a palace and has full motion and sound.
- Spellseize: Cast this as a reaction to another spell going off to make a temporary copy of it that you can cast at any time before this spell ends.
- Spider Climb: You can climb surfaces like a spider. In a game with a Thief class that had a climbing ability, I’d probably cut this. For Knave, I’m inclined to leave it in.
- Summon Cube: Once per second, (6 times per round) you may summon or banish a 3-foot-wide cube of earth. New cubes must be affixed to the earth or to other cubes.
- Swarm: You become a swarm of crows, rats, or piranhas. You only take damage from area effects.
- Telekinesis: You may mentally move L items.
- Telepathy: L+1 creatures can hear each other’s thoughts, no matter how far apart they move.
- Teleport Object: An inanimate object disappears and reappears on the ground in a visible, clear area up to L×40ft away. Renamed for clarity
- Thaumaturgic Anchor: Object becomes the target of every spell cast near it.
- Thicket: A thicket of trees and dense brush up to L×40ft wide suddenly sprouts up.
- Time Jump: An object disappears as it jumps L×10 minutes into the future. When it returns, it appears in the unoccupied area nearest to where it left.
- Summon Idol: A carved stone statue the size of a four poster bed rises from the ground.
- Time Rush: Time in a 40ft bubble starts moving 10 times faster.
- Time Slow: Time in a 40ft bubble slows to 10%.
- True Sight: You see through all nearby illusions.
- Upwell: A spring of seawater appears.
- Vision: You completely control what a creature sees.
- Visual Illusion: A silent, immobile, illusion of your choice appears, up to the size of a bedroom.
- Ward: A silver circle 40ft across appears on the ground. Choose one thing that cannot cross it: Living creatures, dead creatures, projectiles or metal.
- Web: Your wrists can shoot thick webbing.
- Wizard Mark: Your finger can shoot a stream of ulfire-colored paint. This paint is only visible to you, and can be seen at any distance, even through solid objects.
- X-Ray Vision: You gain X-Ray vision.
Licence — Copyright Rob Alexander 2022, released under a CC-BY 4.0 International licence. Derivative of Ben Milton’s Knave, used under licence CC-BY 4.0 International.