FORGET HNN, HERE’S THE REAL NEWS IN 15 SECONDS:
- The 51st Legion have blockaded the Church of Stellar Flame’s cathedral ship in its orbit around Iota. Good sources say the Church has the Aleph Key. Trusted insiders says Governor Ritam al’Malklaith ordered the blockade.
- Meanwhile, a number of formerly-senior Legion officers have taken the hard way down from the Scorpio’s geostationary orbit of Aleph to the rocky planet below. Looks like there’s some house-cleaning going on.
- While the cat’s distracted by other matters… The Ashen Knives have decapitated four major crime syndicates on Warren. They’re on their way to owning the black market throughout the Rin system. Does Malklaith care? Does he fuck.
REAL ACCURATE NEWS — NONE OF THE BULLSHIT
“The gang war is over. Yesterday, members of Kylissa’s gang paraded through Pitside with the the head and hands of the former gang boss “Joke” (real name Wieverd Kimpsil). Kylissa now appears to be unchallenged in her control of the district. Rumour has it that she plans to …”
“… and following on from the VIOLENT DEATH of Myxilla von Korp, the notorious PERVERT Sedgins von Korp has VIOLENTLY DIED in a fall from the underside of Immergleich Prison, ending up SMASHED TO PIECES on the rocks 800 feet below. … An anonymous source sympathized with the TEXTURE OBSESSED weirdo — “I mean, dude just wanted to touch your rusty copper kettle, and maybe the wool of your tunic. He never meant any harm.” “
“… neither Disilla nor her son Azad, the usual public faces of House von Korp, have made a public statement on these events. However, rumour has it that they will pay good money for the information on the whereabouts of a large man with a red devil mask and a remarkable bone club …”
I want to make decisions about the main resolution system for a game I’m designing, but feel stymied because I don’t know what the relevant design space is. I don’t feel confident that I know the questions I can usefully ask. You can see a similar problem (while designing a different game) in my previous posts Combining Dungeon World attribute checks with LotFP skills, badly, and in Some numbers for Dungeon World rolls with LotFP skills — I’m coming up with ideas, and generating some stats about them, but I don’t have any clear idea of my goals so it’s all a bit aimless.
I want to know:
- What is the space of plausibly-useful resolution systems that I can use for a game like the one I am designing?
- How can I “navigate” that space for a particular game so as to home in on the system that gaves me game behaviour I like?